Tuesday Top 5 – Superhero Showdowns
22nd March 2016
In light of the highly anticipated release of Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice this Friday, we're taking a look at some of the best and most intense head-to-heads from the comics. Without further ado, here are our top 5:-
- Batman vs Superman - The Dark Knight Returns - Adapted for the big screen in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, this epic brawl began as a difference of opinion - Superman had become little more than a government agent that did as he was told and was therefore at odds with Batman, who operated with autonomy and without accountability but also without the need for authorisation to fight crime. With the battle drawing near, Batman turned an abandoned area of Gotham into a metahuman deathtrap and donned a suit of power armour. He did need a little help from Green Arrow (and the ultimate comic book cop-out, kryptonite) but the Dark Knight eventually prevailed over the Man of Steel.
- Half of the Marvel comic pantheon vs The other half of the Marvel comic pantheon - Civil War - After a fight between two groups of teenage heroes and villains resulted in the young evildoer Nitro detonating himself in Stanford, Connecticut and killing 600 people, SHIELD put forward the proposition that every powered individual and vigilante should be officially registered with the government to ensure accountability. Whereas Tony Stark, a hero known to the public, was all for this, Captain America thought that this kind of interference would lead to endangering heroes’ nearest and dearest and also prevent them from fighting crime effectively. Neither side was completely faultless, but when Cap was stopped from delivering the death blow to Iron Man by civilians, he realised that they are the reason that heroes suit up, resulting in him turning himself into the authorities.
- Daredevil vs Punisher - various - Daredevil and the Punisher are two fairly similar heroes. They both operate out of New York City and have lost family to criminals. Both of them usually take on human foes that are more criminal than supernatural and they are at the height of human fitness and combat ability. The main difference is where they draw the line, with the Punisher preferring to put a more permanent end to his foes. This has led them to clash on a number of occasions. With this being an ideological argument as much as it is a physical fight, neither side is completely right – killing is wrong, but the living guilty will likely commit crimes in the future. Daredevil has been tempted to cross that line in the past – like the Punisher says to him in the award-winning Netflix adaption, “You know you’re one bad day away from being me.”
- Wolverine vs Everyone - Old Man Logan - In an alternate future, Wolverine has given up being an X-Man and reverted to being ‘just’ Logan again. After the defeat of most of the heroes, the USA has been divided up into five sections that are run by notorious villains. In order to pay the rent and protect his family, Logan takes a job from a now-blind Hawkeye to deliver a package to the other side of the country. As you would expect from a ‘road trip’ style story, this ends up as a vast adventure, with Logan taking on all manner of foes (dinosaurs included) before the story reaches its inevitable conclusion – Wolverine reclaiming his title, popping his claws for the first time in years and wreaking havoc against the evil overlords.
- Suicide Squad vs Public Opinion - With more significant fights (Superman vs Doomsday, Batman vs Red Hood, Aquaman vs ‘he talks to fish’ comments…) not being mentioned, this is potentially a controversial addition to the Tuesday Top 5. However, this film was largely derided as an attempt to cash-in on Guardians of the Galaxy’s massive success when it was first announced but after some frankly inspired casting decisions and the universally-loved Queen providing the trailer music, it’s turning out to be one of the most hyped films of the year, even if it does feature Jai Courtney. Seeing unorthodox bad guys being forced to fight even-worse-guys by the worst-guys should be box office gold when it hits the big screen later this year.