Call us: 0333 999 0802
For claims call: 0333 003 3267
be wiser business

0333 777 3623
0800 988 4689

landline number

Charity Insurance

At Be Wiser, we appreciate that running a charity is just like running any other business, which is why it is important to have the right cover in place. The Charity Commission state that it is a legal requirement for charities to have a duty of care for their assets and resources such as looking after the money they raise, staff and premises.

Especially for those working in the third sector that deal with the public or organise fundraisers, it is essential to have protection for your business activity. Your team members and volunteers are working hard to make a difference in the world - so having insurance can give you peace of mind that they can continue doing what they do best!

Be Wiser works with a number of charity insurance brokers so that we can find the best policy to suit your needs. We are always reviewing the policies offered by leading insurers to find the best discounts for our customers. We have experience providing cover for charities that work with the following groups:

Our qualified team of advisors are based in our head offices in Andover, Hampshire and by speaking to you on the phone, we can get a better idea of your charity work and find you the most suitable policy. To receive a quote, call us today on 0333 999 0802.

Insurance for Non-Profit Organisations

If you run a not for profit organisation, such as a social enterprise or community group, there are several types of cover that can help protect what you do. All cover can be placed under the same charity insurance policy so you do not have to worry about purchasing each one individually and worrying about its renewal – making life so much simpler.

Loss of Income

A successful charity runs on the money that it raises and so important measures should be taken to protect it. Although we hope that nobody will steal from a charity, this is not always the case, so you can protect your donations from any potential theft and any losses can be reimbursed by your insurance.

A charity may also experience a loss of income if they have to face a legal battle, so your cover can contribute towards any legal fees, court fees and compensation claims. Your policy can also cover business interruption in case any fundraising efforts are brought to a halt e.g a marathon is cancelled.

Public liability and Running Events

An essential part of running a non-profit organisation is working with the public – after all, isn’t this is who you are raising the money for? Whether it is going door-to-door, assisting at fun runs, marathons or visiting schools and hospitals, volunteers and charity workers always work with the public sector.

However, there is always a risk that any charity works you do in the public can cause damage to another third party. For example, if you are organising a fundraising dinner and someone gets food poisoning or an object falls and injuries a guest, the charity will be held liable. So having public liability means that you can claim effectively to cover any injuries to third parties.

Professional indemnity

In the event that your charity is responsible for giving advice to people over their health, living arrangements or business, you need to be covered for any eventuality. Professional indemnity refers to giving expert advice and prepares you in case your guidance has any negative effects. Despite your best intentions for someone’s wellbeing, there is always a chance that your advice causes them to be in a worse position. By adding PI cover to your business insurance policy, it can pay for any damages and compensation to the recipient.

Staff and Volunteers Insurance

Charities are likely to have employees and volunteers working in several different locations such as marathons, supermarkets and on the road. It is therefore important to have cover for all these members of staff who might suffer injury whilst carrying out their duties. If an employee is required to do heavy lifting or commute for several hours, there is a risk of injury or being involved in an accident. Companies are therefore obligated to purchase this type of cover known as employer’s liability insurance as it can pay for any medical bills and compensation.

Property and Vehicle Insurance

It is important for charities to cover their premises and any equipment they have in the office. This can be broken down in to two areas: buildings insurance and content insurance. The buildings aspect is for the physical infrastructure of the office and contents is for any stock, equipment or valuables held in the premises. Your cover can protect your office and its goods from theft, fire, flood and vandalism and means any fittings and items can be repaired and replaced by your insurer.

Some charities are well-known for their quirky vehicles. With some spending a lot of time on the road going to events and fundraising from door-to-door, it is compulsory to have at least third party insurance for any bikes, vans or cars you use.

For more information, you can read the Government’s guides on charities and insurance.

Insurance Glossary
Privacy and Cookies
Intellectual Property
Terms and Conditions
Site Map