HGV Insurance

HGV insurance refers to the cover required for ‘heavy goods vehicles’ such as truck and lorries that carry over 7.5 tonnes. To drive a heavy vehicle legally in the UK or any type of vehicle, you will need a minimum of third party insurance unless the vehicle is not meant for road purposes and has been declared SORN.

At Be Wiser, we work with a panel of insurers to help find the right level of cover for your business and at the most competitive price. HGV insurance is typically used for commercial purposes as few everyday motorists are used to hauling heavy goods. Some insurers have a different definition of an HGV, with some setting the limit at 3.5 tonnes and others stating 7.5 tonnes. If it is under the limit of HGV, it will be classified as lorry insurance which is something that we are pleased to offer as well.

We can provide you with a free and no obligation quote on the same day, whether you are an owner-operator or manage a sizeable fleet. Simply call us today on 0333 999 0802 to speak to one of our qualified advisors. To offer the most accurate HGV insurance quotes, we will require the names of the drivers, the vehicle types, claims history, annual mileage and some other details too. This is why we prefer to talk on the phone because we believe that we can ask all the relevant questions and get one step closer to your perfect policy.

HGV Insurance - Third Party to Fully Comprehensive Cover

The minimum level of insurance required for driving on UK roads is third party cover. As implied by its name, it only protects third parties if you are involved in an accident with them. So if your lorry or truck accidently causes damage to another vehicle, pedestrian or public property, your insurance will pay towards any repairs or replacements for the third party involved, but will not pay towards any of your own personal or vehicle damages.

This cover can be upgraded to also include fire, flood and theft so your vehicle will be repaired or replaced in these events. The highest level of cover is known as fully comprehensive and provides protection for third parties, fire, flood and theft but also your own personal injuries and vehicle. Although a fully comp policy includes more features than a basic third party, insurance companies tend to offer similar prices because they want to encourage more cover for motorists, so be sure to explore all of these options.

Other Cover Available

HGV Breakdown Cover

In the event that your lorries and trucks breakdown on the side of the motorway, you can apply for breakdown cover so a professional will come and fix your vehicle immediately and the cost for doing this will be reimbursed. If you are running a business and need to make deliveries, you cannot afford any downtime. So having breakdown cover will give you peace of mind knowing that if you have any mechanical issues, they can be fixed and your business can continue to run smoothly.

Goods in Transit

Insuring your vehicle is one thing, but you also need to consider the valuable goods that you are carrying. Companies can apply for specific ‘goods in transit insurance’ to protect any items or freight that they are hauling. In the event that any goods are damaged, lost or stolen, the insurance policy will be able to reimburse you and the customer. This cover can be crucial to maintain lasting relationships with your clients and allows cover for the following:

  • Food and drink products
  • Livestock and cattle
  • Goods and materials
  • Storage

If you are carrying hazardous goods or chemicals, this is typically an exclusion on most truck and HGV insurance policies because of the high risks involved. Some insurers will consider covering this, so it is important to ask the provider that we put you in touch with.

Driving in Europe

If you are hauling goods to other European countries, you can get covered in case you have any accidents abroad or any goods are lost, damaged or stolen during transportation. You are required to show V5C documents to legally haul goods outside of the UK. Whilst you are still able to access EU member states without a visa, you may be required to provide a green card. You must notify the DVLA if your vehicle intends to stay outside of the country for more than 12 months.

Any Driver

Perfect for large companies with lots of employees, you can allow ‘any driver’ that is registered on the policy to use any of the vehicles you own. This is very efficient as it means that your drivers can hop in and out of vehicles to make deliveries – so it is ideal for employees working on different shifts. The cost of adding additional drivers may be more expensive if the individual is under 25, as this adds more risk to making a claim. Similarly, if the driver you add is older and more experienced (aged mid-50s), they can be very cost-effective to insure.


Companies can also insure various add-ons to their lorries and trucks such as:

  • Attached or detailed trailers
  • Refrigerator units
  • Horseboxes
  • Car carriers
  • Motorhomes

This protection means that if they are damaged whilst stationary or in transit, you can claim for any repairs and replacements and also the goods that are kept inside.

Liability Cover

This is part of a wider business insurance policy and covers you for things that you might be held responsible for due to your business activity. Public liability is the most common whereby any work you do could negatively impact a member of the public. For instance, if some freight fell out of your moving HGV and hit various drivers on the road, your company would be responsible for any damages.

If you have several employees, you have to consider that working for you might lead to health problems, stress or personal injury if they are in the wrong place at the wrong time. But having liability insurance can help pay for compensation towards injury claims, settlements, legal fees, loss of income and more.

Get a Quote

Request a Call Back

What Training is Required to Drive an HGV

To carry goods weighing more than 3.5 tonnes for business purposes, your business and its drivers will require an operator’s license. To drive a vehicle of that size and carrying that much weight, extra driver must have a license that is extended beyond a basic car, known as a Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC). To achieve this license, drivers must complete around 35 hours of training, consisting of five units lasting seven hours per unit. Additional training is also available and this will bring down the cost of your premium.

Ways to save money on HGV insurance policy

We are committed to helping our customers save money on their policies where possible and we will always give some useful suggestions. Since theft is a common reason for making a claim, any way you can make your vehicles safer is welcomed by the insurers we work with this. This includes keeping your lorries and trucks in a secure premise overnight and installing CCTV cameras where they are kept.

In terms of reducing the number of road accidents, any further road qualifications your drivers can do will typically bring down the cost of the policy. If possible, add cameras to your vehicles as this will make it easily to track down any thieves and also determine the liability in the event of an accident.

Other saving techniques include asking drivers to be responsible for their own excesses. Not only will this save your business money but it will encourage employees to drive safer knowing that they are financially liable for their own driving. Where possible, they can increase their voluntary excess as this is always something that will reduce the cost of your policy.

HGV Insurance Under 25

Drivers under the age of 25 are usually harder to insure for heavy goods vehicles because they are less experienced on the road and are at a greater risk of making a claim. However, at Be Wiser, we have several ways to help young drivers get the insurance they need and at an affordable price. This includes putting you in touch with extra training and qualifications, using telematics insurance to reward safer drivers and using a no claims bonus.

We appreciate how expensive it can be to insure lots of drivers and their vehicles. For this reason, we offer a discount for every extra van, lorry or truck that you insure under the same account – known as fleet insurance. Be Wiser can also offer introductory discounts for those starting new ventures, allowing you to leverage your no claims bonus to get the best saving possible. For a quote, call us today on 0333 999 0802.