Ice Cream Van Insurance

Whether you sell ice-lollies, soft serves or 99p flakes, ice cream vans are hugely popular during the summer months, especially when the British summer decides to show up. For several ice cream vendors and entrepreneurs, there is an opportunity to generate some serious revenue and truly make hay whilst the sun shines. So having the right insurance in place is essential to keep your van on the road and avoid any mishaps.

At Be Wiser Business Insurance, we tailor policies specifically to your needs. So if you run a motorized van, catering trailer or mobile cart, we can find an insurance plan to suit you. There is no need to pay for insurance you don’t need, which is why we carefully assess the risks involved to provide you with the best quote possible. If you only work during the summer months, we can also provide a temporary policy for a few weeks or months of the year.

Our team of dedicated insurance advisors is based in our head office in Hampshire and they are ready to take your call. Simply call us today on 0333 999 0802 for a no obligation quote. By taking down a few details, we can provide you with a quote there and then and if you complete all the relevant information, you can get covered on the same day too.

We can offer cover for all makes and models of ice cream van, ideal for sole traders, or company vehicles. We also offer fleet insurance if you have several ice cream vans that you are looking to insure. We offer the following levels of cover:

  • Vehicle insurance
  • Stock cover
  • Public liability
  • Business interruption
  • Employers liability

Ice cream van insurance to cover your vehicle

Running a profitable ice cream van business means constantly being on the road and driving through parks, festivals and unsurfaced roads. The last thing you need is for your van to breakdown or have to go to the garage as this means you won’t be able to do the rounds.

But with vehicle insurance from Be Wiser, you receive free roadside assistance so for any problems, you can have a professional come fix your van and you can be on the road in no time.

If you are involved in a road accident and your vehicle is in need of repairs or replacements, this can be covered by your insurer rather than having to pay a few hundred or thousand pounds out of your own pocket. You can also insure different parts of the van such as the signs or the music tune you play.

Protect your stock and machines

An ice cream truck is likely to run expensive machines such as refrigerators and ice cream makers for soft serves. In the event that these are broken, vandalized or stolen, you will not be able to make or sell your product efficiently. You might find that you suffer a leak and it causes damages to your entire vehicle and all the stock. So putting by this equipment under your policy means that you can claim from your insurer and you will not lose any income.

Similarly, ice cream vendors will always hold lots of stock including ice cream, lollies, cones, toppings and drinks. If these are damaged in a road accident or stolen, it will cost a huge amount to replace them. But provided that you have a clear record of all your purchases, you can get all stock reimbursed by your insurer so you can get your business running again before you know it.

Public liability

As you are dealing with the general public, you need to have public liability insurance, which covers you for any damage or injuries caused to a member of the public or their property.

For instance, you could have a big sign above your ice cream van which accidently falls one day and injures a customer or damages private property. The victim may wish to demand compensation from you or ask you to replace their property.

You can get up to £10 million worth of public liability cover. The amount you need will be based on the amount of contact you have with the public and the potential damages your business activity can cause.

Business interruption

This type of insurance makes sure that you do not lose your regular income if your business is interrupted i.e your vehicle breaks down, your machines do not work or you lose your stock. You can never be sure if you are going to be the victim of theft and or involved in a road accident but there is nothing worse than losing out on good customers and revenue.

So by keeping a record of your earnings, you will be able to claim from your insurance and get some money back whilst your business is interrupted.

Employers liability and use of subcontractors

If you hire employees to run your ice cream van, it is a legal requirement to have employers liability insurance. This protects your employees if they suffer injury or damages on the job. This may occur by operating the machinery, heavy lifting or even being involved in a road accident. As an employee, they have the right to demand compensation if injured by your business activity so your employers liability will cover this accordingly.

You may wish to rent out your vehicle to subcontractors and because they are using your vehicle, machinery and brand, your insurance can protect your business and earnings. So if a subcontractor causes damage to your vehicle or a member of the public, this can also be covered under the same policy.

Get a Quote

Request a Call Back

Useful information

Be Wiser Business Insurance is able to put all this cover under one single policy. No need to worry about having lots of different policies, documents and paying for several different plans – everything is handled under one account to make life simpler.

All ice cream vans in the UK will be required to apply for a street trading license and vendors are advised to speak to their local council about trading in their area.